Use the Photo Bank under Resources.
- Make copies of the photos so each person gets a full set.
- Make sure that each person has a paper and pen. No names on the paper.
- Tell the group that each person will receive a set of three photos. Hand them out face down.
- Before asking people to turn the photos over, instruct them not to think but write down their immediate reactions to what they see.
- Give the group 1 to 2 minutes to complete this task.
- Collect the papers.
- On a flip chart, write down a selection of what people came up with. Group words or phrases into “positive” and “negative.”
- Why do we react in these ways?
- Does anyone recall when they reacted in any of these ways for the first time?
- Has anyones reactions to similar images (on TV, in the newspaper) or to people who look like this changed over time?
Poster. Mural. Comic strip. Self portrait. Photo collage. 3 minutes video explainer. Presentation. Rap. Skit. Play. Art instalation. Sculpture. Other.